So, in case you weren't already aware, I'm Canadian, born and raised in British Columbia and immigrated to California in 2001. I have a green card, I'm legal to work, blah blah blah.
It's almost 11 years later, and I'm finding myself in a little bit of a pickle. You see, green cards have a shelf life of ten years, and I'm a few months away from my expiration date. So I've been looking into the renewal process, since I'm still going to be working here after my current card expires. Holy hell. $450 dollars to get a new green card. And you want to know the kicker? I'm moving back to Canada next August, and I'll probably receive the new green card in the mail JUST before I leave. I want to get my application sent in by the New Year, and in order to do that, I have to pinch pennies like no other. Meaning I will have literally no money for anything, including gas, in the month of December. Awesome, right? Paying car insurance only to not even have gas. But Jon is doing me an incredibly huge favour by covering my gas costs until January, when I'll start paying him back. Thank god my car is fairly fuel efficient, too.
I feel incredibly lucky to have Jon in my life, he's the reason I'm getting out of here so soon. We're both Canadian, and he's been wanting to move to Canada (he has dual citizenship) for about five years. Had we never gotten together last spring (and I'm not happy to say that it had been a possibility of not happening because of me), I probably would have no plans set in stone for moving next year. Jon is the most patient, caring, loving, understanding boyfriend on the planet, despite all of my (many) flaws. As my mom would say, he's my bass player. I love that man more than anything in the world. <3
No comments:
Post a Comment